HISTORY

“Vasil Levski” National Military University is the heir of the rich traditions in the field of military education and a successor of the first military school in Bulgaria, established in 1878. The first military school in Bulgaria was established on 26 November 1878 before Bulgaria had its government, before the convention of the Constituent Assembly and before the adoption of the Tarnovo Constitution.

With the 23 April 1924 Edict of King Boris III the military school was recognized as an institution of higher specialized education. At that time there were only four schools of higher education in Bulgaria – the Sofia University, the Free University for political and economic studies, the Arts Academy and the National Music Academy.

Back